Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Behavin' Like Five Year Olds

My husband and I are just back from our vacation. We went with my sister, brother-in-law and niece on a Disney Cruise. Disney excels at entertainment and kids, so it was no surprise that they would do a cruise well. We had an awesome time, and I would recommend a Disney Cruise to anyone that likes Disney or is traveling with kids. Since they know how to entertain kids, we only saw my niece when we went and pulled her out of Kids Club because we wanted to spend time with her. Most mornings we did breakfast, visited with characters and took pictures and then she went off to Kids Club and most of the time we didn't see her again until dinner. In fact, when we wanted to take her on excursions at our ports-of-call we had to tell her that Kids Club was closed so that kids could go ashore with the adults, otherwise she didn't want to come with us.

On our excursion in St. Thomas, we went on a snorkel trip. We took a catamaran to a shallow shipwreck about an hour from the port. We snorkeled around and were then plied with free rum punch all the way back. Most of my family (except the five year old) were pretty tipsy by the time we got to shore, and my sister was farther along than that. In order to keep my niece from noticing that my sister was a little drunker than may have been prudent, we asked for her help in finding our shoes when we got off the boat and gave her several other little chores for the three-block walk back to the boat. Then, my husband put my niece "in charge". That poor child didn't know what to do with a bunch of misbehaving adults so she he relied on the only reference she had - pre-school. She started cracking the whip, ordering everyone to get in line and follow her and tried to keep general order. The guys, decided this would be the perfect time to get a little revenge for times when she didn't listen, so they started wandering off, telling her that they were tired and wanted to be carried and dropping the bags they were holding proclaiming them "too heavy" and generally having a great time. We all laughed all the way back to the boat....well all the adults did. My niece was nothing but frustrated, telling my husband and brother-in-law that only Mommy and Auntie Meri were getting candy and "you boys can't have any, because YOU DON'T LISTEN". In fact, my husband says that was one of his favorite parts of the trip. Who'd have thought that behaving like a five year old would be so much fun?

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I really love this story! :) I can just see the boys misbehaving and how frustrated she must have been!