Sunday, July 13, 2008

Window Punch Tip

I figured out something amazing! O.K., well maybe not amazing, and really not even something new. It would be more appropriate to say I remembered an old tip and was able to apply it today. It always just *seems* amazing when you suddenly remember something you learned a long time ago, but haven't put into practice in a while. And I was able to combine it with another tip I learned from my friend Rita when we went to Ohio a few months ago.

So, here's the set up. Last night I had to give up some plans, but was then freed up to drop by for drinks for a friend's birthday. Since it was impromptu that I was going, I hadn't made a card and needed one. For the card I decided to make, I wanted to use my EK Success window punch. Unfortunately, the punch was just a tiny bit smaller than the words I wanted to use, so part of the H and they Y in Happy Birthday got cut off, along with the exclamation point at the end. I was pressed for time and I knew the person I was making the card for wouldn't care, so I'm ashamed to say that I went with what I had and didn't spend the time to try to figure out how to correct the problem. So of course, that would be on my mind this morning. It bothered me that the words were cut off.







This morning I remembered the tip that if you fold your paper in half and place it inside the punch so that the folded edge doesn't go to the end, you can make a shaped tag.





I applied this principal to my window punch. When I just folded the edge though, it wasn't clean enough to be unnoticeable under the stamped words. So I scored my paper with the Scor-Pal and folded it.





Then I punched it out with the window punch.



To make the scored line less noticeable, I used Rita's tip to turn the paper over and score the opposite side on the same line with the Scor Pal, which would help remove the original score.



Then I burnished the score line with the bone folder.



The original score line isn't completely gone, but it's much less noticeable, and now I have a larger window strip from my punch that fit the whole phrase perfectly!

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Meri,
I want to say cool, I did not know this trick. I am just getting into punches and I love them, and this makes them even more usable.
Great tip.
Dawn