Monday, September 8, 2008

Diaper Wreath



O.K. I'll try to make my absence up to you. Here is one of the projects I worked on while I was gone. It's a diaper wreath for my friend Leah, who's having a baby in the next few weeks.

To make the wreath, you need a wreath base to wrap the diapers around, approximately 20 diapers (Size 2 - so that they won't be needed immediately and the wreath can be enjoyed for a little while), a package of small clear or white rubber bands for hair, curling ribbon and a few goodies such as bottles, teething rings, pacifiers, stuffed toys, etc. to embellish the wreath with.

For mine, I ended up using 16 Winnie The Pooh Huggies diapers, a wire wreath form from Michael's floral section, and Goody hair bands that came in a pack of 52.

Making the wreath itself, took approximately one hour and pretty much consisted of me taking the diapers right from the package and folding them around the wreath. When you take them out of the package, they're naturally rectangular in shape, so there's no need to spread them apart any further, they simply wrap around the wreath form with very little work. You hold the diaper ends together at the top (one should be on either side of the wreath) and slip a hair-band over them, to hold the diaper in place. Continue working your way around the wreath adding diapers and pushing them together snugly until the whole wreath form is well covered. Once the entire wreath is covered, take your curling ribbon and tie it around each diaper, covering the rubber bands. Then curl the ribbon with your scissors. Use some of the ribbon to tie the toys, bottles and teethers on in a few spots as well. And that's all there is to it.

3 comments:

Leah O'Donnell :) said...

People loved this at my shower (including me, of course!). It was very creative. Thanks for making it for me, Meri!

Chelsea said...

Meri this wreath is amazing ... what a great gift ...

Dawnmarie said...

it was such an awesome idea Meri!!! TFS!!