Saturday, April 10, 2010

Wedding Shower Gift That Takes the Cake

I have two bridal showers today. One for family and one for a co-worker. For both showers, I thought I'd try my hand at making a towel cake. I'd seen one once before at another shower last spring, and figured it couldn't be that hard. Truth is, it's a piece of cake :). Pun totally intended.

The idea is to make three layers using two bath towels as the base, two hand towels as the middle layer and and two fingertip towels for the top. You basically fold all of the towels in quarters lengthwise and roll them up and pin the back. I actually did each of mine slightly different, but the idea is still the same. I also chose to fill mine with kitchen gadgets, because in each case, I am going in halves with someone else on the gifts.

This one is the one I made for my cousin's fiance. She chose chocolate brown towels. My sister and I decided that a two layer cake would be easier to handle and we used three bath towels to make this cake. Two are rolled together for the base and one is rolled up for the top layer. My nieces will also be going to the shower, so we decided to make a smaller separate cake for them using hand towels.



The insides are stuffed with various kitchen gadgets we found at Bed, Bath and Beyond where we got the towels. They were items that were not on the bride's registry, but were just different and interesting, or something everyone can use a bunch of. Spatulas and bag sealers are pushed lengthwise from the top layer through to the bottom layer to keep the layers together and give them some stability. Other items include a strawberry huller, an avocado peeler, a cookie scoop, bag clips, a mini chopper, a silicone fingertip hot pad and some other miscellaneous items.

The sides are rolled in cream colored ribbon that I added some cream cabochon crystal stickers to, and the topper is flowers from a dollar store. Strangely enough, it was the girls' mini cake that was the most difficult to get together. It was so small, that the gadgets I was filling it with weren't laying right. But other than that, the cake was amazingly easy to put together.



Check back in a few days, and I'll share the other cake.

2 comments:

Chelsea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chelsea said...

Those are TERRIFIC!!! I have made diaper cakes but never towel cakes ... now I want to go to a shower and make one!!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!