Thursday, June 25, 2009

Club MED Prop Swap

Today, I am not at home. I am at The Angel Company's yearly seminar waiting for the catalogue release. Well, by the time this posts, I will probably already have seen the new catalogue, if only briefly at the Club MED luncheon. What kind of paper collections will we have now? What will be my new favorite stamp set? Have we gotten any cool new tools or embellishments? I can't wait.

One of the things I worked really hard for in this company was my promotion to Manager last year. Being a manager allows me to attend the special lunch, get a sneak peak of the new catalogue before it is officially released, and swap trades and participate in the prop swap, where I make an item that's above and beyond your typical card/scrapbook page. All prop swaps are placed in a pile and I randomly receive something someone else created. This time for my Club MED prop swap, I created a necklace and earrings. The necklace uses the 2 x 2 Memory Glass and frame. The earrings were made using microscope slides that I cut in half with a glass cutter used for stained glass making. I put these in the melting pot, and spooned various colors of embossing powder on them until the embossing powder melted and the colors flowed together. Once they were cool, I stamped on them using the Fancy Curls stamp set and embellished with Frosted Lace Stickles. Then to attach the earring hooks, I used heavy duty glue meant for glass and metal to attach antique triangle loops (I tried drilling the microscope slides first, but couldn't do it without breaking them), and I think the loops worked better anyway.







I had originally started my Club MED swap using re-inkers and Crystal Lacquer on the glass, and it worked just fine for the necklace, but because of all the rain we've had this week, by the time I got to the earrings, I couldn't get them to dry. I started them on Wednesday afternoon, and by Monday, they still weren't even dry enough for me to apply a second coat. I had already made a necklace and earring set using the same materials in a different color for my team prop swap, and had wanted my Club MED one to be a little different, but things just didn't work out right and I had to fall back on what I already knew would work without issue.

I guess I'll actually have my own necklace and earring set once the materials straighten up their act. Kind of nice, since I don't make much that I keep.

No comments: