Saturday, June 7, 2008

Ten Minute Gift Bag

I've got an adult graduation party to go to this weekend. My friend Deb has been going to school for what seems like forever, and she's finally graduated and on her way to becoming a teacher. Way to go Deb! You've worked so hard for this and finally siezed the brass ring.

My husband and I bought Deb a bottle of wine for the occasion. I had trouble finding a wine bag that I really liked, so I went to Target and purchased a plain white one for 99 cents to decorate myself. Here are the supplies I used.


Plain white bag, 4 pieces of 4 1/2 x 6 black cardstock, Congratulations Cuttlebug embossing template and Cuttlebug, ribbon, Giga and Mega Scalloped Clever Lever punches, white paper, silver paper, adhesive, grey marker, pop-dots, and The Angel Company's Congrats Grad set stamped with Noir Palette ink.

This bag was very, very simple to make. I ran the 4 pieces of black cardstock through the Cuttlebug; adhered them to the bag; put adhesive on the ribbon and ran it around the middle of the bag to cover the seam from the paper; cut two scalloped squares with the punches and stamped the diploma on the white one; layered the two together and stuck them to the ribbon in the center of the bag with pop dots.

The only thing remotely challenging about this is that you have to push the bottom of the bag up into a "V" so that you have flat pannels to work with on both the front and the back of the bag.



Here's the final gift (card made using the Scor-Pal, a paper piercer, and the same Clever Lever scalloped punches and stamp set):



And here's a close up of the embossing detail:



Now you have a classy wine bag that cost maybe $2 and took only 10 minutes of your time. I have used this trick to cover a gift bag with wrapping paper to cover spots or designs that didn't go with the theme I was giving the gift for, and I always gets a lot of ooohs and aaahs. I've also taken bags that have patterns that I like and dressed them up by adhering ribbon and adding an embellished fabric flower.



These are all quick ways you can make a store bought bag into something more without taking much of your time.

No comments: